If you are like me, you are constantly looking around for the best next move to grow as a leader.
I frequently ask why, when, what, and how while looking to enhance who I am as a leader, how my team can improve, and ensure the why is staying at the center of what we do as a team.
I work hard to create a healthy environment with my team that gives everyone permission to provide feedback. From time to time, I will "formally" sit down and invite feedback with specific questions. I recently sat down with one of my employees and asked them 10 specific questions that invited helpful feedback. I walked away encouraged and challenged of where I can improve. In fact, I will sit down with another employee tomorrow and ask the same 10 questions.
What if the best next move for you was simply sitting down with your employee(s) and inviting feedback? Try it.
1. Have I ever said or done anything that robbed you of your passion and energy?
2. Is there anything I do that gets in the way of your ability or your willingness to do your job?
3. Do you feel like you have the latitude you need to make decisions that are important to your role?
4. Do you receive encouragement from me that inspires you?
5. Do you ever feel like your voice is not heard or your opinion is not valued?
6. What can I do to help make (insert your organization) the best place you’ve ever worked?
7. What three things do you wish I would continue to do, do more, or stop doing?
8. What’s it like to be on the other side of me:
• In work situations?
9. What could I do personally to help you be more successful?
10.What is my blind spot?