Did you recently create a staff role that includes building volunteer teams and providing a remarkable guest experience? Where do you find someone to do such a job? Maybe you are looking for a replacement because the leader in the current seat is not getting it done. Or, you might be a pastor that does not have the budget to hire someone but need a little guidance to find the right volunteer leader.
Six weeks ago, I reached out to my awesome friends from around the country to ask for their job description as it relates to Guest Services. They were kind enough to share not only their job description, but some of what they really do that is not outlined in their "formal expectation of responsibilities."
Below is the sample I crafted. You can download this sample job description in PDF and Word format by scrolling down to the bottom of the page. Edit it and make it fit your church. Hope this resource helps.
Title: Director of Guest Services
Reports To: (insert name/position)
This role is critical to the health and success of our church. You are responsible for the experience elements from the street to the seat. You will make guests feel comfortable when they arrive and create an effective and healthy team environment for volunteers. Overall, you are leading volunteers to influence an environment where life change happens. Doing a great job results in a distraction-free guest able to focus on the music and the message. Our ultimate goal is to lead them into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. To us, that is a big deal! To us, you’re a big deal!
You need to be:
- A team player
- A problem solver
- Focused on growing spiritually
- Healthy relationship with spouse (if applicable)
- Healthy relationship with children (if applicable)
- A motivated leader
- Obsessed with excellence
- A great manager of time
- Committed to the vision and values of the church
- An effective writer
- An inspirational communicator
- Great with interpersonal relationships
- A committed learner
You are responsible for:
- Setting vision, quality standards, set of behaviors, and values for all volunteers that results in action.
- Pastoring volunteers toward the Biblical principle of serving.
- Developing key volunteers to become team leaders.
- Inviting, selecting, equipping, connecting, and evaluating new volunteers.
- Scheduling and organizing several training opportunities for volunteers throughout the year.
- Preparing resources for and leading volunteers during Sunday worship experiences.
- Utilizing a helpful database to schedule volunteers.
- Following up with anyone interested in joining Guest Services and oversee the application process.
- Leading side-by-side with the Pastor to ensure your work aligns with the church’s vision and values.
- Educating and equipping the staff to understand the guest experience.
- Leading weekly team meetings with volunteers.
- Creating and managing a budget.
- Coordinating traffic officers and signage for Sunday services.
Work Schedule: 40-45 hours per week, Sunday - Thursday
Employee Signature:_________________________ Date:_______________
Supervisor Signature:_________________________ Date:_______________